Friday, October 24, 2008

Surgical Superhero

Dr. M. is old news.

I now have an appt. with Dr. B.

Dr. B.? Who's Dr. B.?

Dr. B. is the NEW new doc.

I knew there was a chance Dr. M. wouldn't be around to actually perform my surgery because she's leaving the medical group. But I thought I had about 6 weeks till that was going to happen. Some wiggle room, if you will.

No such luck.

The nurse in Dr. M's office called me a couple of days ago with some "good news". My iron levels had gone from a mere 8.9 to a whopping 10.4! I was so excited because I had done that all on my own, taking only 1 iron supp a day, while struggling to push AF and her luggage out the door.

Great!! Less than a point away from the goal of 11 so I could get on the calendar for surgery, right?

WRONG!

The nurse went on to say I was doing great and should continue with my current regimen of 3 supps per day and come back to see a nurse in Dr. M's office in 6 weeks.

Exsqueeze me? A nurse?

What about Dr. M.? What about my surgery? What about my getting to 10.4 all on my own? Where was my gold star? Huh? Huh?

"Well, today was the doctor's last day seeing patients", she told me. "So she won't be performing your procedure. We'll happily discuss who can take over for her once you come back in December."


We interrupt this program for a short sidebar - During a brief, (very brief), bout of lucidity, I decided not to cancel an appt. I had made with Dr. B. back before all the drama that led me to Dr. M.

We now return to our regularly scheduled programming.



OK, so, um, this is where I turn into a weeping damsel in distress and I travel back through time to the days when all a lady had to do to get some assistance was yell, "HELP!" and superheroes from near and far lined up to right my wrongs.

Could Dr. B. be that superhero, er, heroine?

What will happen next week when I show up at Dr. B's office with my medical file and all my test results and through my tears, ask, "Can you help me?"

At that point she will don a shiny red cape and some cool WonderWoman-type wrist bands, put both her hands on her hips, superhero-style and say, "Have no fear. I can fix this."

Then the announcer's voiceover will say, "Stay tuned for next week's episode when Dr. B. battles this fibroid fiasco."

WOW.

I watch way too much tv.

UGH.

1 comment:

Echloe said...

Ughhh. How annoying. Lets hope the Dr. B. turns out to be your hero.

Congrats on the increase in iron too.